Monday, March 23, 2009

Barney Levitt - April Artist of the Month

"Spring Awakening: Contemporary Realism with a Twist" Comes to Dover Library in April

The Friends is pleased to announce that Boston-based Barney Levitt is the April Artist of the Month. His show, titled "Spring Awakening: Contemporary Realism with a Twist", will feature Levitt's often tongue-in-cheek oil paintings, which are executed in the style and tradition of Dutch Masters. The exhibit will be on display for the entire month.

"I've always been drawn to detail and a dramatic use of light," said Levitt. "In my still life paintings, I prefer to work from real life set-ups and choose objects that relate to my life. I try to create a narrative that will elevate and give new meaning to their ordinariness. Humor often creeps in, and sometimes there's an implicit smirk or wink I am trying to convey to my audience." 

Levitt has shown nationally as well as internationally, and he is a member of the Copley Society of Art; the Addison Art Gallery, Orleans; the International Guild of Realism; Oil Painters of America; United South End Artists; and the Jamaica Plain Artists Association.

For more information on Levitt, please visit his web site at www.barneylevitt.com.

No comments: